Sunday, May 31, 2009

Tortilla Soup Ole!

I LOVE tortilla soup but have had a hard time coming across a version I like. Well, I found one in this month’s Family Circle magazine! I’ll share it with you adding my own little story of attempting to make it today.


Tortilla Soup – adapted from Family Circle Magazine

1 TBS. vegetable oil

1 medium size green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (I used a yellow bell pepper because I didn’t have a green one on hand)

1 small onion, finely chopped

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (you definitely need this ingredient—don’t skip it!)

1 TBS. chili powder

5 c. low-sodium chicken broth

3 c. cooked, shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken (Pull the meat off as soon as you get it home from the grocery store when it’s warm and store it in a container in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. This will make it A LOT easier.)

1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes

1 can (14.5 oz.) black beans drained and rinsed

2 TBS. lime juice (Fresh is best! You should be able to get about 2 TBS. from one lime.)

¾ tsp. salt

½ of a firm, ripe avocado (more on this later!)

cilantro to taste

1 c. crumbled baked tortilla chips (optional)

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and jalapeno to saucepan and cook, stirring often, for 7 minutes. Stir chili powder into pot and cook, stirring occasionally for 1 minute. Pour broth and 1 c. water into saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, beans, lime juice, and salt; cook for 5 minutes or until warmed through. Ladle 1 ½ cups soup into bowls: divide avocado chunks among bowls. Add cilantro if you wish to taste. Serve with chips on top, if desired.


I almost cut myself taking these pictures. Next time I shall get someone to photograph me and not try to do it alone!!!

I wanted to show you had to cut up an avocado. First you carefully slice it in half all the way around. You can't go all the way through because of the seed.






Slap your knife really hard into the seed and you should be able to pull it out that way. Please be careful when doing this! The seed is VERY slippery and you can cut yourself very easily.




Once the seed is removed you score the avocado with a knife while it’s still in the skin.



Then remove scored chunks with a spoon.



This is how it looks when the soup is all done!







However, this is how mine looked right before I ate it. I forewent the tortilla chips. No one wanted to help me eat the whole avocado and since you can’t save extra because it turns brown—oh well!!! All for me!! And of course I am a cilantro fiend I added a ton of it. It was so yummy!!!

1 comment:

Brown-Eyed Girl said...

Avocado is full of omega 3 fat and is great for cutting the cholesterol anyway so you're healthier too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails