Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sausage, Black Beans and Rice


“Linner” is what we call lunch/dinner in our house on Sundays. We usually have a late breakfast on Sundays and our main meal is usually anywhere between 2 and 4 o’clock. When I’m at a loss of what to make for a meal I always have a couple of stand-bys I can turn to. One of my family’s favorite dishes is Sausage, Black Beans, and Rice. This dish is always evolving. It was first presented to me by a co-worker about 9 years ago. I’ve switched some things around to make it my own dish over the years. The following recipe is how I made the dish today for our Sunday Linner.

Sausage, Black Beans and Rice
1 pkg. smoked sausage (I use Butterball Turkey Sausage, it’s the tastiest)
½ of a large onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
4 c. cooked rice
1 tsp. salt
2 TBS. olive oil
¼ c. chopped cilantro (I just chop a little and mix it in mine since my family isn’t big on cilantro, poo poo on them!)

Slice sausage and then halve into bite-size pieces. Heat skillet to medium. Add olive oil and sausage to the skillet. When sausage starts to brown add onion and garlic. When onion looks translucent add beans, rice, and salt. Heat until rice and beans are warm. Add cilantro right before serving if you desire. Serves 4.

I’ve also served this inside warm tortillas before. Usually this tastes even better after it sits in the refrigerator overnight. So make sure you have leftovers!

4 comments:

Tammy T. said...

Man I have had beans and rice on my mind alot lately!

Cookies and cakes said...

This looks like an easy dish to prepare! Thank you for the recipe!

Brown-Eyed Girl said...

This looks like a Spanish version of fried rice.

See? One of the biggest reasons I love food and cooking is because of all the background behind it. Food reflects lifestyle, culture, tradition, beliefs AND usually is at least part of what pulls people together to mark memorable moments in our lives.

Cooking Mama said...

I agree Vix, the story behind a recipe is what makes it so special.

Tammy, go make some girl!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails