Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Buying Generic

Times are tough. We're all trying to stretch a dollar. So why not buy generic when possible? I know, I know . . . .you don't think the quality is as good with generic items as there is with a brand name. I'm here to tell you, you'd be surprised! Generally speaking, generic canned vegetables, cake/muffin/cookie mixes, and even cheese taste just as good as the brand name equivalent. Canned fruit can be okay sometimes as well. You just may get a stem or bad colored piece. But I'd rather just pull out the bad part and save money. Generic frozen pizza and chicken nuggets have become a favorite in our household, surprisingly enough.

You still have to check the prices carefully when shopping generic. One week I went to buy a 2 cup bag of generic shredded cheese and found that the same 2 cup equivalent in the Kraft brand was over 30 cents less! I'm not sure what was up with that but I mentioned it to the cashier at checkout time. She said that it sometimes happens that the brand name is cheaper than the generic. I find that very interesting. I don't know how they can compete like that. But then again, a lot of what Wal-Mart does doesn't make sense to me. (Sorry, not a big fan . . . . just am forced to shop there since the prices are the lowest.)

Sure, there are some items that I always buy brand name: orange juice, toothpaste, peanut butter, jams, and cereals. I will never deviate from my preferred brands on those things. That's just the decision I've made for our family. But I'm game for whatever can save me money otherwise.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I'm the same way. One thing I will never buy generic is english muffins - it has to be Thomas's or nothing else.

Cooking Mama said...

Lydia, thanks for keeping the hubby in business! ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails