Thursday, July 23, 2009

Peach Day at the NC State Famer's Market or Something Like That

Gee, I didn't think I was going to get all of that title in there! As you can tell from the sarcasm in title of this blog, the Peach Day was not quite what we expected it to be. My friend, Deanna, and I with two little boys in tow, hit the State Farmer's Market today in high hopes of Peach Day. We were expecting peach recipes, free peach ice cream, and a peek at the Peach Queen.

Arriving at the market we could tell something was amiss because it was quite busy for a Thursday morning at 10:30 a.m. This kind of traffic is usually saved for the weekends. So yay! Here we were! Planning out our "route" carefully we decided to start down in the horticulture area of the open building and walk down towards the fresh produce in search of the peach festivities. Hmmm . . .we walked and walked and passed peach booths (who normally sell peaches anyway) and walked. Hmmmm . . . .no festivities. What was going on here? I told Deanna I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. Did we get the date right? Hmmm . . .So we asked a peach booth lady. She said, "oh! I just found out it's today. They're setting up that booth down there with peach ice cream I think. There's the boss down there, so ask him." So we saunter on down to the potential peach ice cream booth. Men are scurrying all over the place dishing peach ice cream into little cups. Deanna asks about recipes and all the sudden these brochures were given to us by one of the scurrying men. People are starting to crowd around the booth all waiting for their free ice cream sample. Scurrying men place the ice cream cups on the table with a bunch of spoons and chaos ensues. We grab our grub and are in shock because this doesn't taste like peach ice cream. It tastes like plain vanilla. Oh well. Where was the Peach Queen? Didn't see her. When my friend, Deanna, asks one of the scurrying men what the special events were of the day he says they're giving out free peach ice cream and promoting NC peach farms. What????? You mean we came here just for the "vanilla" ice cream sample and three recipes??

It wasn't all bad though. We went to eat at the State Farmer's Market Restaurant and I do have to say that was quite good. The fried green tomatoes were a little greasy but scrumptious. After dining in the, thank goodness, air conditioned restaurant we decided to brave the market area again to grab up some produce. We bought peaches and cantaloupe. At this point I was getting rather claustrophobic. Here's why ------>

A trip to the NC State Farmer's Market isn't complete without a stop at the lemonade stand. When I asked this guy if I could take his picture he said, "sure", and looked at me like I was nuts. I gave him a dollar tip though, so that should make up for it.

All in all, it was a great time with my friend and the boys. We just wish we could have had a more "peachy" time. ;) I know, cheezy, but I couldn't resist. I'll be posting my "edited" version on Examiner tomorrow.

1 comment:

Cookies and cakes said...

Very funny! My hand looks pretty good! Maybe I should try hand modeling???

Related Posts with Thumbnails