Monday, December 7, 2009

A Baker I Am Not . . When Will I Get That Through My Head?


I've made it clearly known that I am not a baker. I am a cook. In fact, when speaking with my friend, Deanna, today and telling her of my current baking disaster her response was, "what's with you and baking?" :) I'm a total klutz. Actually, I know what it is. You can't take short cuts while baking but you can when you cook. I'm not a precision kind of gal.....more of a fly by the seat of your pants dump whatever substitute is necessary girl. Well, that, my friends, does not work in the baking world. Did you know that there is such a thing as non-stick aluminum foil? Well, there is and I found out--the hard way--today.

It's Christmas time and I'm in my "I need to make cookie/candy trays for Christmas gifts" phase. It started off today with some flopped peanut brittle. Well, that's what happens when you don't have a candy thermometer (see above picture, it used to look just like that) because "not me" broke it while shoving utensils in the utensil drawer. Guess I should have found a better place to stash it. On a side note: meat thermometers don't work as a replacement. So peanut brittle is more of a clearish concoction with peanuts floating in it . . eeeeeeewwww . .

Coconut macaroons needs either non-stick aluminum foil or at least spray the foil with Pam before you bake them. The thought of spraying them went through my head but, hey! I was being lazy and trying to work around the huge mess of a kitchen I had. So now said macaroons are sticking and I'm trying to ball them up and dip them into chocolate. We'll see how that turns out.

By the way . . . . .anyone thinking of stocking stuffers for me . . .I'm in need of a candy thermometer--and not a glass one like above, please. :)

1 comment:

Cookies and cakes said...

Funny but true! Baking is very exact :-) We all learn the hard way though...its OK :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails