Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Hummus Disaster

Right now it's in the heat of the moment so hopefully no profanity ensues. . .

I was feeling rather tired this afternoon but there was some cooking that needed to be done. Ingredients were thawed, ready to go, and needed to be prepared for the week. The list was as follows: carrot raisin salad, Greek spinach pie and roasted garlic hummus. What could go wrong, you may ask?

The Greek spinach pie went off without a snag except for the fact that I only defrosted one piece of puff pastry and I really needed a bit more. But with much creativity I think the top crust was pulled off without sacrificing too much eye appeal.

The carrot raisin salad turned out AMAZING. (Small problem chopping the carrots but more on that later.) In fact, I created a whole new breakfast staple from the dressing for it. (I'll share the recipe later.)

Hummus. You either hate the stuff or love it. I happen to be one of the lovers. Chickpeas are the main ingredient followed by tahini. After a short jaunt to the store, I couldn't find tahini. I haven't been able to find it for quite awhile and have made my own in the past from ground sesame seeds. I thought to myself, "you know what? I don't need to put tahini in the hummus!" Problem solved!

I pulled out the food processor earlier for the carrot raisin salad. It didn't work! Nothing I tried worked--different outlets, making sure it was locked in place, putting the other attachment on. So I text hubby (who is at work):

Me: "the food processor is broken!! waaaahhhhh"
Hubby: "what happened???!!!!"
Me: "who knows! it just isn't turning on!"
Hubby: "is it plugged in?"
Me: "ummmm yeah duh"
Hubby: "I will look at it when I get home"
Me: "I'm just going to improvise and use the Slapchop and take my anger out on that and the blender"
Me: "I announced to the kids that this is a sign that I need to get a KitchenAid mixer with a food processor attachment ha ha ha ha"

I used the Slapchop to chop the mini carrots into tiny pieces for the carrot raisin salad. No problemo. For the hummus though . . . . different story. Actually muy disaster! I first tried to mix the chickpeas in the blender. I should have known this wouldn't work. My blender and I don't have a real favorable relationship anyway other than the fact that I think he's cute because he's metallic red. Anyway. So of course that didn't work so I pulled out my mini food processor which holds about 1/2 a cup of stuff and doesn't chop well because of it's worn down years of making baby food out of big people food. It chops them down a bit but not really to my liking. I spoon about a half a cup at a time into the mini food processor then into the mixing bowl. Then I use said mixer (not KitchenAid) to mix the roasted garlic and yogurt into a somewhat creamy/chunky mixture. Hey, it will work. I'm just dipping veggies into it. Now I have about a ton of dishes to do. :(

Cooking Mama

4 comments:

David Foster said...

Hello Kendra,

Just stopping by to make sure you are still blogging! Looking good! Great content and nice job on the layout!

Hope all is well and I will be back!

Cooking Mama said...

Hey David! Glad you stopped by and thanks for the comment. :) I've been wondering what you've been up to with your social networking site. I'm going to check out what YOU're doing. :)

Brown-Eyed Girl said...

But when you love cooking it somehow all comes out right in the end.

Cooking Mama said...

You are so right, Vix! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails