Friday, March 12, 2010

Dei Fratelli Review and Recipe


Recently I received samples of Dei Fratelli's tomato products. I had never heard of the company before, but upon receiving them I realized I'd seen them on the grocery store shelves.

The spaghetti sauce was thick with a great tomato flavor. The salsa was okay--very spicy but needed a little more sweetness for my taste. My kids loved it though! They were chowing down on it with Tostitos tortilla chips.

Included is a recipe in which you can incorporate Dei Fratelli's whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes, or crushed tomatoes. The recipe is from my friend, Paulette. As you may be aware by now, I almost always alter any recipe I try. I just can't stick by the rules!

This sauce can be ladled over pasta or used in lasagna. If you make too much, you can always freeze it in a Ziploc bag for future use. I LOVE the consistency of this sauce since it is so thick. You are sneaking in some healthy veggies for the kids as well. They'll never know!

Spaghetti Sauce
3 TBSP olive oil
1/4 c. finely chopped onion (I use my Cuisinart Chopper)
1/4 c. finely chopped carrots (see above chopper thingy)
1/4 c. finely chopped celery (see above again)
2 cloves garlic minced (see above again)
1 c. red wine
1/2 c. milk
2 c. Dei Fratelli canned tomatoes
salt to taste
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

Saute onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in the olive oil in a large pot till tender. Add the wine and cook, stirring occasionally until it has reduced to about 1/2 cup. Stir in milk. Add tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, and salt. Turn the heat very low and simmer covered at least 3 hours stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails