Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Peanut Butter Pie

Peanut butter is one of my favorite things.  In fact, my family loves peanut butter so much that sometimes we'll go through a large container of Jif in just a week's time.  I know, that's pretty excessive but between peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and the old tried and true cure for hiccups, it goes down fast. 

Over the years I've made many a dessert with peanut butter.  One of my favorites by far is peanut butter pie. There are two recipes that I bounce back and to from--one has a pudding base and the other is an ice box pie.  My friend, Tonya, gave me a new peanut butter pie recipe to try the other week.  Holy cow!  Her recipe has the texture of my pudding base recipe but the taste of my ice box version with a little less richness.  It's amazing.  My kids were fighting over it if that tells you anything.  Heck, I wanted to hide it and keep it all to myself but that just wasn't a possibility unfortunately.

Peanut Butter Pie
8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup crunchy or creamy peanut butter
1/2 c. milk
2 c. or 1 - 8 oz. container of whipped topping ( I used the extra creamy
1 9 inch graham cracker crust pie shell  (I made a homemade one from the recipe here)
1/4 cup of chopped peanuts (optional)

-Whip cream cheese at low speed until soft and fluffy
-Beat in Sugar and peanut butter at medium speed
-Slowly beat in milk.
-Fold in whipped topping
-Put in pie shell
-Sprinkle with chopped peanuts
- Freeze completely before cutting and serving.   Okay, I didn't do this part.  I just refrigerated it.  What can I say, I'm impatient.  I would definately freeze it if it's not going to be served within the next 24 hours.  Otherwise it will get soggy. 

Enjoy and satisfy your peanut butter craving.  :)

3 comments:

knitwit said...

I used to make this for my husband all the time before the kids came along. I haven't made it in years! Now, I have a dessert planned for the weekend. Thanks!!

Tonya said...

I'm really glad you and your family liked it. My mom used to make it for our family in big batches of about 6 pies so she could give some to the older kids with families of their own. It never lasted long that's for sure.

Blondie said...

This is the recipe I am familiar with but I would love to see your pudding base recipe!

Yum! Of course, here I am reading blogs when I should be straightening up and getting my AC fixed...SIGH!

j

Related Posts with Thumbnails