Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pesto Veggies

Another attempt at gardening this year has had its ups and downs for us.  We built two 8' x 4' raised beds.  The soil here north-east of Raleigh is junk--mostly rocks and clay so we felt this was the only option we had left.  Initially I was all excited, just like I am every year until I realize how much work and incessant sweating is going to be occurring on a regular basis.  We planted corn, carrots, green beans, cucumbers, German Johnson tomatoes, basil, romaine lettuce, spinach, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, green peppers, cherry tomatoes and cilantro.  FAILURES:  corn withered away in the heat even after regular watering, green beans withered away after about three harvests I'm guessing from the excessive heat we've had, the zucchini were eaten alive by mealy worms before we could tackle the problem, the German tomatoes are not ripening (I will never plant this variety again even though it's heirloom).  SUCCESSES:  cherry tomatoes are going strong, cukes are yum but haven't produced as much as I'd like (I'm thinking excessive heat is damaging them), and the basil is taking over my garden!!!!!

Since the basil has been going nuts I've been taking advantage of that fact and been freezing pesto for the winter months.  The best sandwich in the world is bread slathered with mayo and pesto . . slap on a fresh tomato slice, some salt and pepper and get ready to slap your momma!  Too bad I haven't had too many of those fresh tomato slices laying around . . . .German Johnson tomatoes . . . rawr

I've tried to come up with some creative ways to use pesto other than on pasta.  This recipe is so easy but tastes like you took awhile in the kitchen.

Pesto Veggies
2 lb.s red potatoes, halved or quartered depending on how big they are
12 oz. fresh green beans
6 TBS. fresh or commercial pesto
3/4 tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Place the potatoes in a large pan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat and simmer for 6 minutes.  Add the beans and cook 8 more minutes on a simmer or until the potatoes fork tender.  Drain and put back in the hot pan.  Add the pesto and stir to combine.  Makes about 10 1 cup servings. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Tonya S. said...

It looks great. I'm going to have to try it out on my hubby. I'm all about easy these days too.. who isn't?

Related Posts with Thumbnails