Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What Do You Do with Your Clipped Recipes?

For many years I've accumulated quite a pile, I mean a collection of recipes.  They've been ripped from magazines, quickly jotted down on a scrap piece of paper by a friend or family member, or printed from the web.

About eight or so years ago I started up a large three ring binder with page protectors with every intention to file away every recipe I got my grubby hands on. WRONG!  Sure there are some still in there but I started just tossing the clippings in the binder in a pile.  So when I would go to pull the binder off the book shelf papers would fly every where.  Plus in my laziness (since the binder was so big and overwhelming and disorganized) I would pull a page out and never file it back away.  In addition to this mess I have had a gazillion and I mean a gazillion cooking magazines on my cookbook book shelf.  Things were flying everywhere.

Last week I got a wild hair and thought, "hey, I'm going to get this together for once and for all!"  I went through every cooking magazine I had except for Food Network Magazine (those are sacred mini-encyclopedias of information and were never meant to be ripped or cut into--at least in my opinion) and clipped out the recipes I really wanted to keep.  Then came the daunting task of organizing every recipe by type of dish.  After that I page protected them all and slipped them into binders grouping some of the types of dishes together.  I now have:  Salads Sandwiches Sides and Soups, Breads and Sweet Things, Breakfast and Miscellaneous, and Main Dishes.  Guess which one is the largest.  Yep, that's right.  The Bread and Sweet Things book.  You know my love affair with anything that is 500 calories plus.

It takes some time but I know that this organization will be well worth it in the end!

3 comments:

Tonya S. said...

I have about 7 of those binders on top of my cupboard. When I got married, this lady that has been friends of my family for ages gave them to me. Each filled with recipes of all sorts. So, I just keep adding to them.

Moogie said...

Hi... I'm your newest follower.

Cooking Mama said...

Hey, Moogie! Welcome. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails